Ashford 4: – Week 3 – Journal
Reflections on Federal Welfare Policy
For your journal entry, you will explore aspects of your personal experience and/or beliefs regarding significant public policies and what you have learned in your readings. As you reflect, please address the following questions:
- There are several federal welfare programs such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Section 8 Housing Assistance, Food Stamps, Medicaid, among others. Pick two of these policies and describe:
- What social problem they are intended to address
- What population they serve
- Assess the strengths and any issues of each program.
- For each program, do you think it is working well? If so, why? If not, what alternative program would you recommend to address the same social issue?
- What were your thoughts about federal welcome programs prior to reading this week’s reading assignment?
- How has your perspective been either reinforced or changed now that you are more informed?
The purpose of the journal activity is to allow you to thoroughly reflect upon what you have learned during this course, particularly this week, and to provide you with an opportunity to relate this what you have learned this week to your own experiences. The reflective journal is not a formal written assignment. However, you are expected to adhere to conventional rules of grammar, sentence structure, spelling, and punctuation while focusing on clearly conveying your thoughts.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your journal entries.