1. The technology acceptance model (TAM) is a two-factor model that describes user acceptance of new or replacement technology solutions (Davis, 1989). This evaluation model has withstood the test of time and is widely used. The model is based upon perceptions and beliefs of individuals and measures two types of factors: (a) perceived ease of use and (b) perceived usefulness.
Prepare a short paper (3 to 5 strong paragraphs) in which you explain how researchers could use the TAM model to explore the factors influencing employee acceptance of wearable technologies to authenticate users for access to facilities and/or computing systems. What research questions might they ask? What measurements would be needed?
Davis, F. D. (1989). Perceived usefulness, perceived ease of use, and user acceptance of information technology. MIS Quarterly, 13(3), 319-340. http://ezproxy.umuc.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=4679168&site=ehost-live&scope=site
2.Technology Transfer Research Paper
For this paper, you will research, analyze, and discuss the processes involved in helping technologies emerge from the R&D environment so that they can be incorporated into products and services which meet the needs of the cybersecurity industry. Your research should include: technology transfer processes and initiatives and funding sources, i.e. venture capital, government grants, etc. You should also address the technology development lifecycle and the role of funding availability at each of the lifecycle stages (See NIST GCR 02-841).
Begin your research by reading the following documents and resources about technology transfer processes and initiatives. Continue your research by investigating the availability (or lack) of federal funding for innovations in the cybersecurity area.
- What is a technology? http://www.useoftechnology.com/what-is-technology/
- Technology R&D Lifecycle: Between invention and innovation: An analysis of funding for early-stage technology development (NIST GCR 02-841). (pp. 1-76) http://www.atp.nist.gov/eao/gcr02-841/gcr02-841.pdf
- What is technology transfer? http://www.utrs.com/technology_transfer.html
- Technology Transfer @ DHS
- DHS Transition to Practice (TTP) FY 2016 pp. 1-23 https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/files/publications/CSD%20TTP%20FY16%20Tech%20Guide.pdf
- Technology Transfer @ NSA
- Technology Transfer @ Federal Government:
- Cyber Maryland Report http://mdcao.usmd.edu/Maryland%20Department%20of%20Economic%20Development%20CyberReport.pdf
Next, research the role that private funding (venture capital) plays in providing money and resources to innovators who are developing cybersecurity technologies and products. How does the availability of venture capital impact the development of technology? How do venture capitalists influence the emergence or death of technology developments? Provide specific examples from your research.
Your research is to be incorporated into a 3 to 5 page written summary of the technology transfer process and associated funding issues. Your report is to be prepared using basic APA formatting and submitted as an MS Word attachment to the Technology Transfer Research Paper entry in your assignments folder. See the sample paper and paper template provided in Content > Course Documents > APA Resources.
For an “A,” you must use and cite at least five of the authoritative sources listed in this assignment. You must also find and use additional authoritative sources in your analysis. This means that your reference list must have at least ten authoritative sources and those sources must be cited properly in your paper.
Grading Rubric: Consult the grading rubric for specific content and formatting requirements for this assignment.
List of Topics and Sub-Modules for Content
- Turning Cybersecurity Research into a Reality (DHS Transition to Practice)Link Topic.
- DHS Transition to Practice (video)Link.
- Transition to Practice (TTP) FY 2016 pp. 1-23 . As you review this reading, focus on understanding the methods and practices used in the DHS transition to practice model to transition emerging technologies from R&D labs to pilot implementations.
Research Methods & Designs
- Technology Acceptance ModelLink Topic
- Ready Technology ModelLink Topic
- Case Study ImplementationWeb Page Actions for ‘Case Study Implementation’
- Delphi Method Study ImplementationWeb Page Actions for ‘Delphi Method Study Implementation’
- Pilot ImplementationWeb Page Actions for ‘Pilot Implementation’
- Quasi-Experimental Study ImplementationWeb Page Actions for ‘Quasi-Experimental Study Implementation’