Students will be expected to post their first initial discussion board posting by Friday of each week. Discussion posts will be graded and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Students are expected to post their responses to peers by Tuesday. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
Terrorist Goals and Stereotypes
In this assignment, you must find 2 videos that contain speeches made by Osama bin Laden on any video Web sites of your choice. In light of what you have learned in this unit, listen closely and analytically.
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 400–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
- What have you understood to be bin Laden’s stated goals in the tapes? How do you perceive the emotions that they are meant to arouse in the listener?
- How does bin Laden use language to portray the battle between Muslims and Western stereotypes? Give 2 examples, and explain your reasoning.
- What strategies does bin Laden use to persuade the Muslim listener to take action as an Al Qaeda supporter?
- What do you perceive from what you have heard to be bin Laden’s overall purpose in making this tape? Explain your rationale.
- As a homeland security and emergency management professional, what do you see as a possible method that could be used to counter the effects of such a tape?