After viewing the videos about children and informed consent, as well as reviewing the other materials for this week, complete the following assignment based on this scenario:
You are a social worker who works at a domestic violence shelter. Your job is to provide services to children of the women who enter the shelter. The shelter has the capacity for 15 children, and your caseload averages about 10 to 12 children each month. Your job is to link the children with counseling services, medical care, and other social services as needed. In the past 3 months, you have noticed that there has been an increase in aggressive behavior among the children in the shelter. You want to develop an intervention utilizing a play therapy technique that you learned in your social work classes and present your findings at a state conference for social workers. You design a study in which the children in the shelter are randomly placed in one of two groups. One group will receive play therapy, and the other group will receive no intervention. You will then compare the behaviors of the two groups of children. Before you hypothetically implement this study, prepare a written response to the following:
- Examine what the Code of Ethics says about obtaining informed consent when children are used as research participants.
- Explain how you will address the issue of confidentiality for those mothers and their children who want to participate in the study.
- Document what you would say to potential participants about their right to withdraw from the study.
- Determine if the potential for harm exists. If so, explain what you will do to protect the subjects.
- Analyze the potential benefits for these subjects.
Support your assignment with at least three scholarly resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including seminal articles, may be included.
Length: 4-6 pages, not including title and reference pages
Your assignment should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic. Your response should reflect scholarly writing and current APA standards.