Read Chapters 1-2 of the textbook and read the paper found here regarding the Trial of T. Hall. From the paper, begin your reading on page 14 with the first full paragraph and end the reading after the completion of the first paragraph on page 17. Once all reading is complete, respond to the following items:
- Why was T. Hall singled out for scrutiny?
- How did T. Hall’s neighbors respond to the gossip that this person’s sex was unclear?
- What authority did women claim in assessing the situation?
- What authority did men claim?
- What does the struggle to mark T. Hall’s gender identity suggest about the structure of community life and the roles of men and women in colonial America?
Read Chapters 3 – 4 and the information provided regarding the 1763 Treaty of Paris, which ended the Seven Year’s War. Once all reading is complete, respond to the following items:
- What concessions are forced upon France by England, the victor, and what does England give in return?
- How significant a role do New World possessions seem to play in the treaty?
- What does this document suggest about the European balance of power and the economic philosophy of mercantilism?